Letterboxes and postboxes in various colours and available personalised in the UK Home Contact About Us

Slightly Better Books

Category Focus:

Railways - The GWR

Great Western Railway

Literary gifts for book lovers, gorgeous gift ideas for readers, writers and literature fans
AbeBooks.co.uk
The Great Western Railway (GWR)
Related Railway Author Pages of Interest: Related Railway Category Pages of Interest:
In Pictures:
****Hyperlinked titles will take you to our copy on sale or prebuilt searches of copies on sale****

Useful Links:
Books on Ebay-see our specially prebuilt search below
Books on Amazon-see our specially prebuilt banner below

Books to look out for:
[in alphabetical order, dated to earliest edition. Each listing includes later editions and printings]
1994. GWR Then and Now by Laurence Waters

On Amazon:
Waters, Laurence. "GWR: Then & Now", published in 1994 in Great Britain in hardback with dustjacket, 256pp, ISBN 0711022674. Condition: Very good, with some wrinkling to the dustjacket edges and a small rip to the dj at the top of the spine and a scuff at the bottom of the spine. Price: £5.20, not including post and packing, which is Amazon UK's standard charge (currently £2.80 for UK buyers, more for overseas customers)
1994, Ian Allan, hbk
In stock, click image above to buy for £5.20 (good condition), not including post and packing, which is Amazon UK's standard charge (£2.80 for UK buyers)

Alternative online retailers to try:
Click here to access our prebuilt search for this title on Abebooks

Click here to access our prebuilt search for this title on Alibris

Click here to access our prebuilt search for this title on Ebay

Click here to access our prebuilt search for this title on Biblio


Alibris UK: books, movies & music

AbeBooks.co.uk

Find this book at Biblio.com!

 

 

 

 

 


Alibris UK: books, movies & music

AbeBooks.co.uk

Find this book at Biblio.com!

 

 

 

 

 


Alibris UK: books, movies & music

AbeBooks.co.uk

Find this book at Biblio.com!

 

 

 

 

 


Alibris UK: books, movies & music

AbeBooks.co.uk

Find this book at Biblio.com!

 

 

 

 

 


Alibris UK: books, movies & music

AbeBooks.co.uk

Find this book at Biblio.com!

 

 

 

 

 


Alibris UK: books, movies & music

AbeBooks.co.uk

Find this book at Biblio.com!

 

 

 

 

 


Alibris UK: books, movies & music

AbeBooks.co.uk

Find this book at Biblio.com!

 

 

 

  • GWR Then & Now [top]
    First published in 1994 in Great Britain by Ian Allan in hardback with dustjacket, 256pp, ISBN 0711022674

    Original price when first sold in UK: £29.99

About this book: The Great Western Railway, a.k.a. God's Wonderful Railway, has a peculiar place in the hearts of railway enthusiasts. Whether this is because of its historical eccentricities or because it was the only one of the 'Big Four' companies after 1923 to retain the title of the original pre-Grouping company is difficult to tell, but interest in the company, its locomotives and its lines remain intense.

In The Great Western Railway Then & Now, well-known author and expert on the railway Laurence Waters explores photographically the Great Western inheritance on the modern railway. From the major locations like London, Oxford and Cardiff, to the lesser known branch termini, the book explores what the contemporary traveller and railway enthusiast can see from the great days of Western Steam. In many locations, surprisingly, the only difference is one of rolling stock; in others, the whole landscape has been radically altered so that, to a modern viewer, it is almost as if the railway has never existed

Contents:
Introduction
Section 1: Thames and Chiltern
-Middlesex, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and Oxon
Section 2: Somerset and Avon
-Somerset, Dorset, Wiltshire and Avon
Section 3: The Southwest
-Devon and Cornwall
Section 4: The Midlands, Cotswolds and Border Counties
-Gloucester, Shropshire, Warwickshire, The West Midlands, Hereford & Worcester
Section 5: Wales
-Dyfed, Powys, Gwent, Gwynedd, Clwyd, West Midlands and South Glamorgan
List of Locations

List of Illustrations (all sections below list illustrations, drawings and photographs):
p1, top. Bedminster, 1950s, 'County' class 4-6-0 No. 1016 County of Hants passes through
p1, bottom. Bedminster, 28th November 1993, HST passes through with an up service from Weston-super-Mare to Paddington
p2, bottom. Saunderton, July 1961. Ex-GWR '9400' class 0-6-0PT comes through with a mixed freight
p2. top. Saunderton, 19th June 1993, Turbo 165019 in Network SouthEast livery arrives with the 12.10pm from Marylebone to Princess Risborough
p4. Concath, 28th August 1956, "4500" class 2-6-2T No. 4550 arrives with the 11.35am from Whitland
p5. Concath, 26th September 1993, the station and platforms lie derelict
p6. Henley-in-Arden, March 1957, 2-6-2T No. 3101 arrives with a service from Moor Street
p7. Henley-in-Arden, 27th November, 1993, Sprinter No. 150013 arrives with the 10.22am service from Birmingham Snow Hill to Stratford-upon-Avon
p8. A selection of GWR publicity posters from the GW Trust's collection: Holiday Season Tickets; Aberystwyth; London Pride; The Glorious Thames

p9. Section 1. Thames and Chiltern
Section 1: Thames and Chiltern: Middlesex, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and Oxon
p11, top. Paddington, June 1935, platform 1 viewed from the 'Lawn'. Shows passengers boarding the Cornish Riviera Limited the 10.30am service to Penzance. The '5700' class 0-6-0PT on pilot duty is 5745
p11, bottom. Paddington, 20th November 1993. Shows the extended 'lawn' of Paddington
p12, top. Paddington, 20th August, 1957, platforms 2 and 3. The down 'Bristolian' waits to leave platform 3 behind Newport Castle, No. 5065 ('Castle' class). Another member of the class waits behind with the 8.50am service to Weston-super-Mare
p12, bottom. Paddington, 20th November 1993, platforms 2 and 3, with two HSTs occupying platforms 2 and 3 on the newly introduced InterCity 'Shuttle' services to Bristol and South Wales
p13, top. Ranelagh Bridge Yard, 6th August, 1960 with several engines and the turntable in view. From left to right: County class No. 1027 County of Stafford, Britannia No. 70025 Western Star, Castle Class No. 7003 Elmley Castle, Castle No. 7020 Gloucester Castle and 5044 Dunraven and on the right King class No. 6011 King James I
p13, 2nd photograph - Ranelagh Bridge Yard is now a car park
p13, 3rd photograph - Royal Oak on 30th June 1959, showing '1500' class 0-6-0PT No. 1500 passing Royal Oak station with empty stock from Old Oak to Paddington
p13, 4th photograph - Royal Oak, 20th November 1993. Now served by Metropolitan line trains only. Class 165 No. 165128 passes the station in this photograph with a Thames Line stopping service from Reading
p14-15, top, West Ealing, 5th August 1962; and then in 1991 the station has had the down main platform removed and the up main fenced off. Turbo No. 165119 is passing in NSE livery on a Greenford - Paddington service
p14-15, middle, West Ealing Junction, summer of 1959, Castle No. 5037 Monmouth Castle heads the down 'Cathedrals Express' Paddington - Hereford service. West Ealing junction box can be seen in the background, behind which is the milk dock. On the modern photograph, an HST speeds through the junction on 20th November, 1993. The old milk dock is still in situ
p14-15, bottom. Hanwell, 5th August, 1960; and on page 15, the same view on 20th November 1993, showing that the down main platform has been removed. Replica gas lamps have been fitted to the island platform
p16, top. Southall, no date, looking down from the footbridge to the east of Southall, as Castle No. 7024 Powis Castle passes through with an empty milk train. On the left is the east end goods shed, and on the right, the large locomotive depot and water softening plant.
p16, bottom. Southall - both the east end goods shed and large locomotive depot buildings are still present, but the latter is now the Southall Railway Centre. On the far right is the remains of the Brentford branch, which was closed to passengers in 1942
p17, top. Southall, 1950s, general view of the station, with an unidentified Castle speeding through it with the 7.15am service from Plymouth to Paddington
p17, bottom. Southall, 20th November 1993 showing a pair of Turbo units Nos 165108/10 running through the now disused up main platform with a fast service from Oxford. The water tower on the right has been converted into flats
p18, top. Hayes and Harlington, 17th May, 1959 - ex-Great Western 2-6-2T No. 6150 arrives at Hayes & Harlington with a Thames Valley service to Reading. From the same spot on 20th November 1993 (2nd photograph), the footbridge has been removed and a Class 165 Turbo No 165106 passes through with a semi-fast to Reading. The large structure in the background is the ex-GLC incinerator built in the 1980s on the site of the old GWR creosote sleeper works
p18, 3rd photograph, Iver, in July 1949 as ex-Great Western diesel parcels car No. W34 pauses at Iver (Bucks) in July 1949. The 4th photograph shows Iver on 20th November, 1993 as a Class 165 Turbo No. 165123 arrives with a Thames Line service to Reading. The relief platforms are now the only ones in use
p19. Burnham Breeches, three photographs taken: firstly in 1921, which shows the signalbox (closed 17 November 1962). Secondly, the 15th May, 1959 shows 6100 class 2-6-2T No. 6117 arriving with a Thames Valley stopping service to London. And finally, refurbished in recent years, the 20th November 1993 photo shows a clean and tidy station with Class 165 Turbo No. 165137 calling with a service to Reading
p20, top. Maidenhead, July 1963, No. 7002 Devizes Castle speeds through with a service from Hereford to Paddington. An 'up' parcels train hauled by 2-6-0 No.6309 stands at the up relief platform. The Wycombe bay is on the right
p20, bottom. Maidenhead, undated, but recent. The down main is now unused and the platform has modern lighting. Turbo No. 166219 stands in the up relief platform on a Thames Line semi-fast from Bedwyn to Paddington
p21, top. Furze Platt Halt, 1st July, 1962 with 4800 class 0-4-2T No. 1445 pausing with the 12.14pm service from Maidenhead to Marlow (one carriage). The platform surface is made of crudely nailed-down boarding, but has a wooden waiting room
p21, bottom. Furze Platt Halt, 11th December 1993, Class 165 No. 165002 stops at the new concrete platform with the 12.10pm service from Marlow to Maidenhead
p22, top, Cookham, September 1954. In the platform is ex-GWR diesel railcar No. W13 arriving with a service from Marlow to Maidenhead. p22, 2nd photograph shows the station on 9th October 1993 in a much reduced state with only a single platform being used with a car park occupying where the down platform used to be. Turbo No. 165003 arrives with a service from Marlow to Maidenhead
p22, 3rd photograph, Bourne End, 1950s. Ex-Great Western 4800 class 0-4-2T No. 1448 prepares to leave with a service to Marlow. 4th photograph was taken on 9th October 1993 and shows the Marlow service in the hands of Turbo unit No. 165003
p23, top. Bourne End, late 1950s, 6100 class 2-6-2T No. 6131 approaches Bourne End with a service from High Wycombe to Maidenhead
p23, bottom, Bourne End today minus the level crossing, which was removed on 22nd August, 1971. The line from Maidenhead now terminates here
p24, top, Marlow, 17th February, 1962, with 4800 class 0-4-2T No.1421 waiting to depart with the 12.20pm service to Maidenhead. There are three different designs of gas lamp on the platform! p23, middle photograph shows where the old Marlow station used to be, and p23, bottom photograph shows the single platform station (opened 10th July, 1967) on 11th December, 1993 with Class 165 No. 165002 waiting to depart with the 12.10pm service to Maidenhead
p25, top, Twyford, viewed from the adjacent road bridge at some time in the 1920s. p25, bottom photo shows Twyford on 9th October, 1993 with Thames Turbo No. 166218 speeding through with an Oxford to Paddington service
p26, top. Henley-on-Thames, 1950s, with ex-Great Western 0-6-0PT No.9403 standing in the station with a service to Twyford and Reading. At this time the station had two main platforms, an overall roof and a bay platform. The roof went in 1975, and in 1985 the station was reduced to a single platform with a new entrance building. The photo at the top of page 27 shows Thame Turbo No. 165113 standing at Henley with the 11.06am service to Reading
p26, middle, Wargrave, around 1910. The photo also shows what the Henley-on-Thames branch looked like after doubling in 1898. Of course, in 1961, the branch was singled again and the down platform at Wargrave was closed. The middle photo on p27 shows what Wargrave looks like now minus the lovely station and footbridge: bare, and with a bus-type shelter
p26, bottom, Reading station in around 1919 and p27, bottom, Reading station on 20th November, 1993 showing little change apart from the change in lighting and removal of signals
p28, top, Reading station on 5th August, 1939 with ex-Great Western 2251 class 0-6-0 No. 2252 standing in the station with a service from Weymouth to Paddington
p28, middle, 20th November 1993, showing No. 165106 arriving with a Newbury-Paddington service. The large footbridge now visible was built in 1989 and connects all platforms to the car park and the Brunel Arcade complex entrance
p28, bottom, July 1955, Hall class 4-6-0 No. 6906 Chicheley Hall crosses Oxford Road junction on its approach to Reading West Station with a through service from Bradford to Bournemouth. P29 at the bottom shows the same stretch of junction on 11th December, 1993, with the signalbox on the left now missing (closed on 25th April, 1965). Class 166, No. 166201 accelerates through Reading West with a semi-fast service from Paddington to Bedwyn
p29, top, Newbury Race-course in the 1920s with a platform full of carriages, doors all open, and with very smartly dressed race-goers walking about, and chatting on, the platform
p29, middle, 19th January, 1994 with a pair of 166 Turbo units on services to and from Bedwyn
p30, top, Newbury, August 1961, with class 4-6-0 No. 6029 King Edward VIII departing from Newbury with C35 on the smokebox door. p31, top shows Newbury on 12th February, 1994 with both platforms occupied by Thames Turbo units. The station has remained almost intact apart from losing two bay platforms
p30, middle, Tilehurst, 26th April, 1959, Hall class No. 5901 Hazel Hall pulls into the station with an Oxford - Paddington stopping service. p31, middle, shows Tilehurst station looking pretty much the same on 11th December, 1993 with class 47, No. 47241 running through with the 05.30am Crewe Basford Hall to Southampton freightliner
p30, bottom, Goring & Streatley on 22nd May, 1963 showing an empty station. On p31, at the bottom is the station on 11th December, 1993 with Class 47, 47204 speeding through with the 16:42 Crewe Basford-Hall-Southampton freightliner service
p32, top. Cholsey & Moulsford, 14th May, 1951, an unidentified Hall pulls into the station with a Paddington - Oxford service. On the left of the picture, a 4800 class 0-4-2T No. 1447 waits in the bay with the connecting service for Wallingford. The Wallingford branch was closed to passengers on 15th June 1959, but remained open as a long siding to serve the Allied British Maltsters depot until 28th May 1981. The Cholsey & Wallingford Preserved Railway now runs into this bay. p33, top - Class 37, 37068 Grainflow runs through Cholsey station (as it is now called) with an empty ballast train
p32, middle, Wallingford, 19th April, 1952 - 4800 Class 0-4-2T No.1444 stands together with its autocoach outside the small engine shed attached to the station at Wallingford with a water tower prominently in the picture. All of this is now gone to be replaced by a housing estate with the gabled house in the distance the only point of reference
p32, bottom, Moreton Cutting Yard, 4th July, 1953, seen here with Grange class 4-6-0 No. 6805 Broughton Grange runs past with some down milk empties. The yard was closed on 10th August 1964 and has become overgrown in recent years. In the more recent picture, Class 165 No. 165104 passes with a Thames Line stopping service
p34, top. Didcot Engine Shed, 1963, with left to right 6100 class 2-6-2Ts Nos 6136 and 6159; and 4300 class 2-6-0 No. 5380. Also in the photo is a class 08 and a modified Hall. Since 1969, the Didcot Railway Centre has operated here, home to the Great Western Society.
p34, the middle photograph is a shot of the Didcot Railway Centre on 14th November 1993 as preserved 4800 class 0-4-2T No. 1466 and 4500 class 2-6-2T No. 5572 are being prepared for work
p34, bottom, view looking West from the Foxhall bridge towards Foxhall Junction on 7th June, 1960. The photo interestingly shows two coaches being slipped from the 7am service from Weston-super-Mare to Paddington, which was the last multiple slip working in the UK. Foxhall Junction signal box can be seen in the middle distance. The photo at the bottom of page 35 shows a radically different scene on 4th December 1993 with three of Didcot's cooling towers in the picture (Didcot has of course now been demolished (2016), a new signal gantry, no sidings and no signal box. An HST is just arriving with the 11.54am service from Weston-super-Mare
p35, top, Challow, early 1960s showing ex-works Grange class 4-6-0 No. 6826 Nannerth Grange arriving with a Swindon-Didcot stopping service. The station was closed on 7th December, 1964
p35, middle, Challow showing the scene on 11th January, 1994 with a Bristol - Paddington HST passing the space where the station used to be (the platform loops were removed)
p36, top, Shrivenham - a 'Modified Hall', class 4-6-0 No. 7902 Eaton Mascot Hall speeds through Shrivenham on August 5, 1950 heading the 4.35pm service from Kingswear to Paddington (via Bristol). Shrivenham was closed to passengers on December 7, 1964. The bottom photograph shows an HST speeding through the site where the station used to be. There is a new building now on the site of the old shed and the signalbox and siding are gone
p37, top, Culham station on the Oxford line, where an up stopping service from Oxford to Reading is pulling into the station. This is 'Hall' class 4-6-0, No. 5983, "Henley Hall". Culham was opened on June 12, 1844 but its original name was Abingdon Road. It closed on February 15, 1961; with the goods shed and down side buildings being removed in 1972. The upside building was designed by Brunel and is a listed structure, hence it remains in situ. The bottom picture shows the new up platform installed in 1993 with Class 166 No. 166217 running through the station with the 12 noon service from Oxford to Paddington
p38, top, Radley Station with 'Saint' Class 4-6-0 No. 2912 'St Ambrose' arriving with an up stopping service. The station was opened on September 8, 1873 and the picture here was taken in the 1940s and shows the Abingdon branch on the left. The small signalbox on the up platform was closed on May 23, 1965 and the station buildings were taken down that same year. The Abingdon branch closed to passengers on September 9, 1963 and survived for freight use until June 30, 1984. Radley Station is still there, as shown by the bottom photograph, but it's a basic, unstaffed halt. On January 8, 1994, an HST speeds through Radley with the 'Cotswold & Malvern Express' service to London
p39. Top and bottom are photos of Littlemore Station: the top photo taken looking east on August 13, 1959. The station was opened on October 24, 1864 and was the first station on the Oxford-Prince Risborough branch after leaving Oxford. The large building visible on the right was the County's "lunatic asylum" which, by the time of the bottom photograph of December 10, 1993, had become Littlemore Psychiatric Hospital. For many years, this institution had its own private coal siding. Littlemore Station closed to passenger traffic on January 7, 1963 and to goods traffic on June 21, 1971. At the time of this book's publication (1994), the line was still open as far as the Morris Cowley International Freight Terminal (BMW's Cowley Mini Factory). The bottom photograph shows Class 37, 37261 running down the branch with the '6M90' 10.15am service from Morris Cowley to Bescot Yard
p40. Oxford. The top photograph looks north from the Becket Street footbridge in 1958 and the station can be seen in the background. It's an active scene bathed in sunlight and shows '7200' Class 2-8-2T No. 7247 running through Oxford on an up freight. Standing in the up goods loop is ex-LMS Class 8F No. 48476. On the left are the West Midland sidings and on the right, Becket Street yard. The station which was opened on October 1, 1852 originally had an overall roof, but this was removed in 1891 in a rebuild. 1970 saw the station rebuilt yet again only for this new 'temporary' station to be demolished in 1989 and replaced with a brick structure evident in the bottom photograph taken on January 7, 1994. Class 47, No. 47839 can be seen departing Oxford in the bottom photograph with a Liverpool - Paddington service; Becket Street yard on the right has gone, closed on October 28, 1977. The photo shows that some of the West Midland sidings are still there, but visibly little used (a look of disuse and weeds in the track)
p41. An unidentified 'Hall' powers a through service from Birkenhead to Poole through Bletchington on August 24, 1963 in the top photo. Bletchington was formerly called Woodstock Road in May 1851, Kirtlington in July 1855 and finally Bletchington on August 11, 1890. It was closed on November 2, 1964 and no longer exists. In the bottom photo, Turbo No. 165108 speeds through the same (now empty) spot with a morning service from Banbury. Only the stationmaster's house still exists
p42. Shows a neat and tidy, well looked-after and attractive station at Fritwell & Somerton on the Oxford to Banbury line just to the south of Aynho. The top photograph shows the station, whose original name was just Somerton, in 1919 (it was renamed Fritwell & Somerton in October 1907). The little signalbox visible in the far left distance was closed on September 18, 1966 and the station closed on November 2, 1964. There is nothing now left of it and the bottom photograph shows Thames Turbo No. 166219 on April 18, 1994 approaching the location of the station on April 18, 1994
p43 shows yet another station that has been removed - Aynho for Deddington. The top photo shows 'Grange' Class 4-6-0 No. 6871 'Bourton Grange' speeding through on August 8, 1964 heading the 9.05am service from Wolverhampton Low Level to Portsmouth Harbour. When the Oxford to Banbury line was opened, Aynho was also opened: on September 2, 1850. It was closed November 2, 1964, with the signalbox closing September 16, 1968. The bottom photo shows No. 47826 on the 11.06am passenger service from Birmingham New Street to Paddington
p44. Top, Gerrards Cross Station on May 7, 1960, with '6100' Class 2-6-2T No. 6157 heading the 12.38pm service from Princes Risborough to Paddington
Bottom: No. 165022 waits with a High Wycombe-Marylebone service on October 30, 1993
p45. Beaconsfield: top photograph shows an unidentified 'Castle' Class locomotive on a down Wolverhampton service, with M03 on the smokebox door. The bottom photo shows Turbo Class No. 165029 waiting at the platform in 1993
p46, High Wycombe, north of the station. Top photo shows ex-streamlined 'King' No. 6014 King Henry VII accelerating away through High Wycombe on a service to Birkenhead in 1957. The bottom photograph shows Turbo No. 165038 heading the 11.40am service to Banbury on June 19, 1993. Note the 'Pay No Poll Tax!' graffiti relating to Margaret Thatcher's government on the cutting wall
p47. High Wycombe, looking north again, top photograph. 'King' class No. 6022 King Edward III heads into High Wycombe on the 3pm service from Birmingham Snow Hill to Paddington
On June 19, 1993, in the lower photograph, Turbo No. 165036 makes the same approach on the 11.30am Banbury to Marylebone service
p48. Princes Risborough, top photo, showing ex-Great Western 'Star' class 4-6-0 No. 4060 Princess Eugenie starting the climb up to Saunderton Summit with an up Birmingham service in 1950. Note the quadrant signal denoting that this was an LNER/Gw joint line. The bottom photo shows No. 165035 leaving Princes Risborough on the 12.30pm service from Banbury to Marylebone
p49. Prince Risborough: the top photo is an excellent view of the front and right hand side of ex-LNER 'L1' 2-6-4T No. 67800 at the front of a train with an ex-Great Western 0-6-0PT No. 7763 behind it with a single carriage behind. This train is in the bay platform and bound for the Aylesbury branch on September 13, 1955. The bottom photograph shows the bay platform, now used mostly for stabling, with Turbo no. 165022 standing there on June 19, 1993 with the 5.20pm service to Aylesbury
p50, top, Aylesbury station in the 1950s with 0-4-2T No. 1473 in the platform, which has just arrived with the autotrain from Princes Risborough. 'B1' No. 61001 Eland is standing in the shed yard. In the next photograph (middle photo), Turbo No. 165018 operates the Aylesbury to Princes Risborough service on October 30, 1993. The station looks remarkably cleaner and better looked-after in the 1993 photograph
p50, bottom, Chinnor. The photo here is of Chinnor Station around the year 1900, and certainly before the cement works was built in 1908. The photo at the bottom of page 51 shows the new platform for Chinnor nearly complete (the station had been closed on July 1, 1957), with the modern cement works in the middle background. This later photo was taken on April 16, 1994
p51, Thame Station, top photograph, on August 2, 1862 with the Brunel-designed overall roof still in place, and with 'Hall' class 4-6-0 No. 6990 Witherslack Hall departing with the 11.30am Oxford-Paddington via Maidenhead stopping service. The middle photo on page 51 shows the same location in the early 1990s, but the goods yard and station are now gone and nature is rapidly reclaiming the site
p52. Blackthorn, shortly after opening in 1910 (top photo). It was closed on June 8, 1953. The Bottom photo shows the same site today - the whole station is gone, and the only trace of it is the road entrance on the right behind the trees
p53. Top photo. Bicestor North showing the up platform constructed of wood and the goods shed in the background (closed 1964). The signalbox on the left was closed on October 27, 1968. The second photo down shows the station on October 10, 1993
p53, Third photo down: Ardley Station with 'King' class 4-6-0 No. 6011 King James I passing through with the 1.10pm service from Paddington to Wolverhampton. This station was opened July 1, 1910. The fourth photo shows the remains of the down platform still in situ, but nothing else remains of the station. Chiltern Turbo No. 165032 heads past with the 10.40am Marylebone to Banbury service
p54 and p55, top, Aynho Park Platform, shown here with wooden platforms. It was closed on January 7, 1963 and only the milepost and abutments of the road bridge mark where it stood in the photo at the top of page 55.
p54 and p55, middle - King's Sutton Station - shown here on February 7, 1962. It's an attractive building with ornate chimneys, but it was sadly demolished with the footbridge in the 1970s. Only the down side building remains in the picture in the middle of page 55, where Turbo No. 165034 arrives with the service to Marylebone on October 30, 1993
p54 and p55, bottom - King's Sutton looking South from the small overbridge. In the photo on p54, 'Castle' class No. 5076 Gladiator approaches the station with a service to Wolverhampton. Running in from the right is the Banbury-Cheltenham direct line, which ceased to be a through route on December 3, 1963 when the section from Chipping Norton to Hook Norton was closed by a landslip. This remained open as far as Adderbury until December 4, 1967. The photo at the bottom of p55 shows Turbo unit Class 165 No. 165307 heading towards the camera on a Chiltern Line stopping service. The bridge abutments that carried the Banbury-Cheltenham line over the River Cherwell are the only visible elements left of that route.
p56, Chipping Norton, top photo, shows an unidentified '5100' class 2-6-2T waiting at Chipping Norton with an afternoon service to Kingham in 1961. The through line from Banbury to Cheltenham was operated as a branch line between Kingham and Chipping Norton when passenger services were withdrawn between Banbury and Kingham on June 4, 1951. Chipping Norton itself was closed completely on September 7, 1964; the bottom photo from the early 1990s shows a builders' merchants on the site with the remains of the down platform still visible on the right
p57, Banbury, top photo shows a view of the station from the adjacent road overbridge on August 6, 1960. On the left of the picture, a new WR DMU with '2H49' on the train headcode stands in the up platform with the 7.05pm service to Reading. In the adjacent platform, 'Hall' class 4-6-0 No. 6934 Beachamwell Hall departs with the 3.40pm service from Portsmouth Harbour to Wolverhampton. Fellow class member No. 6931 Aldborough Hall waits in the bay platform. The bottom photo shows Class 47 No. 47849 leaving with the 9.05am service from Poole to York. The through line on the right was used by Chiltern Line Services. Apart from the south end bay, all other bay platforms were unused at the time of this book's publication
p58, Banbury. The top photograph shows a busy summer's evening at Banburgy in 1961. On the right, a through service from the South Coast to the Midlands has a pair of 'Hall' class 4-6-0 locomotives double-heading it: No.s 5947 St. Benet's Hall and 6906 Chicheley Hall. Approaching the station is 'King' class No. 6008 King James II with the 4.20 service from Wolverhampton. The bottom photograph shows a single Turbo unit No. 165032 departing with the 12.09 service to Birmingham Snow Hill on November 1, 1993. The various north end bay platforms were all unused, but the signalbox visible on the other side of the bridge, Banbury North, was still in operation. The box was demolished overnight on March 26, 2017 despite attempts to save it as an education centre
p59. Section 2. Somerset and Avon: Somerset, Dorset, Wilts and Avon



The Great Western Railway


The Henley-on-Thames railway lines


Paddington Railway Station


The Abingdon Branch



 



Books/Magazines on Ebay:
[top]
 
Books on Amazon:
[please note that lack of pricing for a book does not mean book is out of stock, but that there are only secondhand copies available]
[top]